Friday, May 16, 2014



I can distinctly remember the first day I met Humberto Brown.  Elton, Humberto's older brother, had been training at Alley Cat Fitness Foundation for about six months when I met Humberto.

It was fight night and I was at the event when a spitting image of Elton walked up to me and said, "Hey I am going to be a cornermen with you tonight, my name is Humberto, I'm Elton's brother."

While Elton was focused on stretching I had a chance to speak with Humberto.  Besides Elton and Humberto's appearance and love for  martial arts, the similarities stop there. Elton is very much a silent leader, one who leads by example, and is a extremely introverted.  Humberto on the other hand is always joking, always playing pranks on John and I and other members the team. I joke with the brothers now saying that Humberto spoke more with me that night than Elton had the previous six months.

To make a long story short Humberto commented that he once fought MMA but had no formal training. He fought to put food on the family's table and used his knowledge of Olympic wrestling to control the fights. He said he had a winning record but that is jujitsu skills are not as good as he would like and that he had no place to train or learn jujitsu.

I told him that excuses only satisfy those who make them and that he should come to the next practice with Elton.

Elton won the fight via a first round knockout and after the fight we had a few beers to celebrate.   Humberto told me he would see me on Monday... 1 million people have told me that and very few follow through. Never the less that Monday Humberto and Elton were at the gym.

Although their personalities differ, Humberto is just like Elton with his God gifted athleticism: unbelievable strength compared to their weight and cardio that lasts for days.  Within three months humberto was fighting and winning.

I knew this sky was the limit. His "coachability", winning attitude, team spirit, and work ethic practically make it a sure thing.

It is now with great honor, and pleasure that Alley Cat Fitness Foundation announces that Humberto Brown is currently in Las Vegas filming for the upcoming season of the UFC's Ultimate Fighterr; which will be broadcasted starting in August in 26 countries and reach 700 million viewers.

Humberto is not the only one doing great things at the gym our donors are as well!  There are currently countless more young men and women who are training daily here.  Some train to get In shape, some train to learn skills, others train as an alternative of being on the streets and drugs. Most of these students barely have enough money to pay for food much less a gym membership, however they have been and continue to train because of you, the generous donors, make it
possible.

Photos: FIGHTLAND: Alley Cats of Panama
            FIGHTLAND: Fighters of El Chorrillo 

No comments:

Post a Comment