Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Jiu Surf Jitsu

        I was born and raised on the beaches of the Jersey Shore.  Now although that may conjure up the images of orange skin and hair gel for most, for me it brings me back to the sound of the waves, the smell of low tide, the caw of seagulls hovering around the jetties.  Growing up connected to the ocean, surfing and fishing, and now being so connected to jiu jitsu, I can't help but take a moment to look at some of the similarities.
       One of the most captivating facets of surfing is the intimate connection to nature; you are essentially alone amongst the sea with nothing but a small board.  When you catch the wave, you can literally feel the energy of the ocean push you and start to carry you towards the shore.  There is nothing, in my experience, that can bring me closer to nature in such a playful fashion.  However, this does not come without serious risks and consequences.  Just try and find one experience surfer that does not have a near death experience in the water.
        When I started studying jiu jitsu, I was landlocked, but somehow I found the same rush, the same joy as I did from surfing while training jiu jitsu.  Now how could one possibly find a connection to floating alone in a beautiful ocean to rolling around on mats with sweaty people dressed in karate suits? It all goes back to playing with nature, but this time we are not playing with Mother Nature, it is our Human Nature we are grappling with.
       I can not control my sparring partner in jiu jitsu as much as I can control the next set that is coming in.  Sure I can get a good position, maybe even get a sweet submission, but I can not control how strong the person is or how much aggression they have.  Just as Kelly Slater can pull in to a massive tube at Pipeline and get spit out unscathed, but can't slow the wave down for his take off or make the reef less sharp or shallow bellow it.
       And cut to Alley Cat Fitness Foundation where I get to spend the majority of my day teaching and training jiu jitsu on mats that overlook the ocean.  Now, we've been lucky enough to have a start up SUP (stand up paddle-boarding) company use our gym space to rent and give classes.  I literally get to walk off the mats, pick up a board, and go do this.

1 comment:

  1. I love it brother your so right. Your a fountain of wisdom. I miss the ocean and surfing so much.

    ReplyDelete